Sunday, June 12, 2011

Americans in Haifa: Exploring

During our brief time in Israel we have been blessed by visits from both sets of parents and by Kenny's brother and wife.  They have been our excuse for getting out and seeing all (or nearly-all) of this beautiful country and they have loved every minute of it.  Upon his return to a rainy day in Chicago, my father in law composed the following poem which captures the sights, smells, and flavors of this exotic land.

Exploring
I smell the fresh cut grass that had to be mowed;
I’d rather smell the shawarma cooking and the sweet smells of the souk.
I see the wet highway and splash of rain on the windshield as I drive to the office;
I’d rather see places where He walked, rutted Roman roads, and orangepinkandgreen sunsets.
I hear the sound of planes overhead and ring of the telephone;
I’d rather be listening to crashing waves, the chirp of the European Bee Eater, and the laugh of children riding a donkey.
I feel the cold breeze, the keyboard under my fingers, and the desk chair at just the right height;
I’d rather feel the spray of light rain in the bird sanctuary, and the low overhead stones in the secret Templer escape tunnel.
I taste the cold coffee and cold-cut sandwich – the tastes of work;
I’d rather taste hummus, and kabob with ten sides, and hot Turkish coffee with thick dregs from a brass pot, and orange juice squeezed justnow.
I do my chores so someday I can be with you again in another corner of the world - exploring. 

With only six weeks left before we head home, I am squirreling away these memories and sensations.  I will miss them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment